Gary Potter serves as special counsel in the firm. He brings more than 50 years of experience to his practice, working with more than 5,000 clients from around the state to address their estate planning, business, real estate, probate, and trust administration needs.
Gary’s extensive experience and knowledge give him the ability to provide personalized counsel to his clients. He is most proud that he has remained a trusted advisor to so many of his long standing clients and their children. Gary strives to create communication with his clients to fully understand their planning needs, to provide alternatives, and to implement the plan. His undergraduate degrees in English and Psychology and broad past experience provide a special ability to skillfully work for clients with unique situations.
Gary has practiced with Wade Ash since 2015, after 35 years of private practice. Before entering private practice, he honed his skills as a Colorado Deputy Attorney General in the Inheritance Tax Department, as Vice President of the First National Bank of Denver’s trust department where he was responsible for personal trust administration, tax, marketing, and investment counseling, and as Vice President, Marketing for Integrated Resources, Inc., where he emphasized income tax and financial planning for high income, high net worth clients.
Gary is a 4th generation Coloradan whose ancestors settled Wall Street, near Gold Hill in Boulder County. His family operated a drug store in Boulder from 1901 to 1971.
Gary has four children. His wife, Pam, passed away in 1992. His children are: Matt, real estate broker in Denver; Mike, banker in Wisconsin; Andy, a tennis professional in Denver; and Katie, a JAG attorney with the Air Force in Washington, D.C.
- Estate Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Estate Administration
- Trust Administration
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 1966
- Regis College, B.A. in English and Psychology, 1963
- Colorado Bar Association
Trust and Estate Section
- AAU Basketball Denver Organizing Committee
- Denver Nuggets Advisory Committee
- Denver Teachers Award Foundation, Past President
- Craig Hospital Board of Directors
- Colorado Open Board of Directors
- Denver Trust Officers Association, Past President
- Lakewood Junior Basketball Association, Past President
- USGA Sectional Affairs Committee
- PGA, Colorado Section, Legal Counsel
- Trans-Miss Golf Association Board of Directors, Legal Counsel and Tournament Director
- Pacific Coast Golf Association, Past President
- Colorado Golf Association, Director Emeritus
- Colorado Golf Hall of Fame, Past President
- Golf History of Colorado Foundation, Chairman of Board
- Colorado Golf Hall of Fame Inductee